Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Process Writing: Profile Piece

I think there's some confusion surrounding my profile piece. I chose to profile the National Museum of Mexican Art, but more specifically, the NMMA's role in the gentrification of Pilsen, the surrounding neighborhood. Maybe that was too much for me to take on, though, because I found myself getting really overwhelmed during the writing process with so many descriptions, interviews, and observations to include. I got to 700 words and thought this would never get finished. That resulted in me leaving out a lot of important points, quotes, and personal insights.

Still, I think it's a fascinating topic, and that was reinforced as soon as I drove into the neighborhood last week. I went to school just a couple of blocks from the heart of Pilsen--18th street--and my family and I frequent the local restaurants, so I'm familiar with the people and the places. The reason I chose to focus on the NMMA's role in the gentrification of Pilsen was because 1) in my mind, the Museum has always been a great, fascinating addition to the neighborhood and I love art museums and 2) in my last couple of high school years, I began to notice more than before the changing demographic. I saw more diversity in skin color, in clothing choice, in physical appearance in general. It no longer was a neighborhood of and for Latinos. I myself have been to those higher end Mexican restaurants which are also part of gentrification. But I've also been to El Milagro, La Casa del Pueblo, and Nuevo Leon. To me, those are the "authentic" places that give Pilsen its unique cultural identity. Maybe subconsciously I went to La Casa del Pueblo before I went to the Musuem for my interviews to get into the right mindset. I didn't know what my interviewees were going to say about the local food joints, but once I headed home after my day of research, I perceived my experience at La Casa del Pueblo that morning in a completely different light. I noticed the interaction between the white woman and the Latino employee, but I didn't realize the implications right then.

I had a ton of fun writing this piece. I got to eat some great Mexican food in Pilsen, my second favorite neighborhood of Chicago, hang out with my family at the Museum, and talk to some fascinating people.

No comments:

Post a Comment